Wednesday 20 April 2016

Production Evaluation

To conclude the previous post, I believe I'm supposed to comment on how, in my opinion, I think the movie creation period went. And let me tell you - I certainly think it went. I had great fun working with the cast and crew of the team, and a lot of learning working basically on my own with the help of an ever shrinking cast and crew on Wally's Peaks.

So, let's talk about my role on set of each film, in order. My very first role was as the sound recordist for "A Stolen Mind". This was relatively easy as there was no need to use the boom mic, meaning I mostly got to stand around making sure everything was just working well, which is a very good role to have, and I was able to perform the duty of this very well because of how little this role was necessary in the production of the film. There was one small scene in which the boom mic was used and, while I don't know if it will be used in the final film, it was definitely my shining moment that I feel really emphasised my close bond to the role of sound recordist. In general, I'd say the role didn't present any exciting opportunities, but I never thought it was the job I wanted to do anyway, which works out perfectly fine for all intents and purposes within any possible future.

Next, I was working on "Exposure" as the assistant director, a role that was definitely more prominent in the work leading up to the movie than the actual movie. Leading up to the movie it was my responsibility to help with paperwork, doing fun activities like risk assessments and discussing with the director about certain aspects of the movie production. I don't feel like I handled this too well because of how well the director himself had handled it, causing my role in this part to be obsolete, allowing me to use the time to focus on paperwork for Wally's Peaks that ultimately did not end up getting used. During shooting, the role was limited to interacting with the director and making sure everything was in place to allow shooting to begin, and interacting primarily with the cast in making sure their jobs were being performed to the highest standard, which I can say I definitely did my best to accomodate the position and all of it's needs, and whether it was suitable to the standards of the rest of the group is up to them, but I feel I personally performed the task well enough to be recognised for the role and be seen as useful enough to the group.

In "No Good Deed Done" I was set to be the production co-ordinator, interacting with the cast and crew to make sure they're personally okay. For me, this is a bit awkward as I'm not the most confident of people in general, but I gave it a go, and I feel it went well, as the actors were small and the crew I was mostly comfortable with, allowing me to be in a position where I could just chat to them, make sure things were okay and carry the occasional thing or do the odd task to make sure people were just totally focused on the movie, which I feel that they were for the parts I was there for, and while I like to imagine that they were a trainwreck without me, the reality is that the role was more of just an ease of mind role for the other crew members giving me yet another pretty simple but somewhat important role to perform, to allow me to sit on the side lines and be somewhat of a moral support role, or that's at least what I tell myself to make the role seem more important. Overall, I once again believe that I performed the role well and worked good with the team, and I personally enjoyed working on all three of these movies every day we were out filming.

The last week of filming was spent working on Wally's Peaks, my own creation of a script detailing the life of a washed up celebrity drug addict trying to find himself, full of nonsensical and absurd jokes, in which I was directing. I had a lovely cast except for difficulties with one member that I, thankfully, only needed for one day (I think it was more of a problem on that specific day, but it definitely caused minor issues in confidence for how the next day would go). Working as a director was a lot more strenuous and difficult than any other role, I feel, and especially working with such a small team at times made it very difficult and stressful to cope, but I was able to pull through and rise to the occasion, completing the movie (albeit a little late due to issues arising) to a standard I am extremely happy with. I am glad to have been involved making the movie and am glad to have had the assistance of all the cast and crew who helped me, as the movie was a very enjoyable one to make and I had a lot of fun creating it, which I feel is the most important thing in being in the industry - enjoying it.

Those are my personal views on the production period of our short movies for college, overall saying that I, personally, think I did a good job performing my roles, and everyone around me did such a good job at theirs to make it easy to complete everything to a fantastic standard with everything going incredibly well for all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment