Monday 7 September 2015

Class Task: Music Video - Music Video Assignment

Usually today, if a song exists, it will have a music video behind it to either enhance the experience, make you think, or make you regret living. In what will be my first attempt at creating a blog ever, I shall attempt to discuss the former two options present in a few music videos that I like.

To start us off, I think I'll mention what is one of my favourite music videos to watch in the song "Oblivion" by Bastille.
 The video tells an interesting story, and it does so with subtlty. Rather than being loud about it and showing movie clips, or giving a simple showing of events throughout it, it opts for telling the story through emotions. The video primarily focuses on Sophie Turner, singing along to the song, (which I will go on record to say is not amongst my favourites in the slightest), and it evokes emotion in the watcher and listener, as it fits in that what you see matches up almost perfectly with what you hear. Every so often, the camera will cut to something else, to show the watcher that the video takes place in a track for a demolition derby, to interest the watcher in wanting to watch the video to the end to find the reasons. The video starts showing a picture of the real singer, suggesting that in the context of the video, something happened to him, and that Sophie Turner's actions are based around this, so that when she herself enters the derby at the end of the song, it implies that her singing of the song is a method of remembering the singer before she puts her life on the line, hinting at forms of depression present in the loss of a loved one, and intriguing the viewer. From research, it seems that this follows on from other videos from the band, which all imply that the singer was kidnapped and killed, but of this I can't be too sure, as they are, as I said, not my favourite band of all time.

Another intriguing video for different reasons would be "Neglected Space" by Imogen Heap.
This video doesn't show a lot. Heck, it barely shows anything, but what it does show is very interesting in the way it is dimly lit and sets off a horrific vibe, that fits in rather well with what you are listening to. Unlike Bastille, I enjoy listening to Imogen Heap's music and the atmosphere set off by the unsettling and often creepy song fits the tone and mood present in the video as it shows eery versions of everyday objects, also fitting with the theme of the title implicating this video to be showing a space that has been neglected. Like the song, the video picks up towards the end in intensity before settling down at the same time, making the viewer feel involved in the video as well as the song as it goes on. The video is very interesting to watch and creates a sense of mystery and intrigue that is somewhat open to interpretation.

Following the theme of open to interpretation music videos, is "'Cause I'm A Man" by Tame Impala.
 The song sets off a very weird tone and this is complimented entirely by the inclusion of the mysterious and confusing video that causes uncertainty in the viewer during and after watching the video. It is open entirely to interpretation and creates an odd feeling of warmth and comfort while also scaring and confusing the viewer at the same time. The unusual blend of emotions sets a peculiar theme to the experience that can not be described fully. The simplicity of what is happening makes the video appealing to watch, in a similar way that Neglected Space's video was simple and yet was able to stir emotions and cause intrigue. The video is bright and colourful, but with a variety of different colours that confuse your emotions and make it a bit of a jumbled mess, but make it even more oddly satisfying to watch.

Other honourable mentions for videos I enjoy, but not songs I necessarily enjoy, are as follows:

Skrillex & Damian "Jr. Gong" Marley - Make it Bun Dem

David Guetta - Titanium ft. Sia

These videos are similar in that they're just interesting to watch with a weird and peculiar story, and fit the music more enjoyable to listen to. "Make it Bun Dem" almost makes me enjoy listening to Skrillex, the video is that good and well made... Almost.

Other honourable mentions for videos and songs I enjoy: 

Fountains of Wayne - Stacy's Mom

I'm not explaining myself on this one. The video's just fun and makes a non-serious song even less serious, which I think is good. It's not on here for the middle section, honest.

Billy Talent - Rusted from the Rain

The story told is fairly emotional and interesting, and while it doesn't fit with the song all too much, it definitely makes it more enjoyable to watch.

 Toto - Africa



One of my favourite songs ever. Honestly, I don't have much to say about the video, it's good, but I just didn't want the whole blog to consist of kind of okay songs as well as Skrillex, so here it is. Hope you enjoy listening to it.


I could go on and mention more songs, but I think other more professional bloggers would have probably ended a while back, so I'll finish here. If you decide to read this, any feedback would be appreciated.
Is asking for feedback even allowed in a blog? Eh, it'll probably be fine, and if not, then it probably won't matter.

1 comment:

  1. A fantastic start - I love your writing style don't stop writing until you have nothing interesting left to say in my opinion, that's the beauty of blogging its a forum for your knowledge, thoughts and opinions.

    ReplyDelete