Sunday 1 November 2015

Class Task: Film Studies - Things that Back to the Future has taught us about Scriptwriting

It was Back to the Future 2 day last week. I know we were all excited for our self-tying shoes and our hoverboards, but it didn't quite happen. What did happen, however, is that I rewatched the three movies and, with my teacher being such a big fan and all, we had to do a task based around this for college. We had to give a crew member from the film to a person in our class and then we had to find out about them and do research and stuff. Thankfully for me, I got possibly the easiest job - Michael J. Fox. I mean, that's pretty easy, he's been in loads of things. Let's look at his full list of roles, and I'll point out the ones I know.

Back to the Future, Back to the Future Part II, Back to the Future Part III (as Marty McFly)
Tales from the Crypt... I never watched that, I just sort of know of it...
Mars Attacks
Back to the Future: The Game (as Marty McFly)
Annie... The 2014 one so we'll never talk about that again
Lego Dimensions (Video Game) (as Marty McFly)

Okay, so he's really not been in much I know about. You'd think more people would want this guy. Either way, from looking at the list it's apparent that he seems to enjoy working on "nerdy" movies and TV shows. I mean, Back to the Future is a classic sci-fi adventure loved by a lot of people, and so many people enjoy him for that role. Looking through the list, it's apparent that his most famous role is Marty McFly, and he really hasn't played many other noteworthy roles.

Pretty much the only other pieces of information I can find is that he's Canadian-American. Now obviously that means he's really awesome because he can enjoy his McDonalds, but only if it's smothered in maple syrup. Yeah, he loves freedom, but he also enjoys having a moose in his house. Now that's pretty cool. But I also see that he had Parkinson's Disease and he set up a charity. For that I can excuse him for not having had too many roles, but it makes it hard to write about him.

I have to write about scriptwriting, but I can't do that where he's concerned. The script is very good, and Fox's execution of this was fantastic, but as far as writing goes, Michael J. Fox can't tell us anything. I change my mind. This wasn't an easy job, and I want a re-roll.

Bob Gale? That'll do. He was literally the writer.

So, the idea of Back to the Future started with a simple idea - meeting your father while he was in high-school. That's certainly interesting, but how did it become Back to the Future? Well, the script was rejected 40 times, and they were told that it wouldn't work because it was about time travel and it was too sweet and that they should take it to Disney. So eventually, they took it to Universal. You know, not Disney.

Gale makes note that the movie doesn't fit into any genre. Yes, it's Sci-Fi, but it's also Comedy, Adventure and a family movie, which all work. They encountered a problem with casting and they realised that they had to redo a large part of the movie in order to make the characters better, and they often spoke about how they see characters as the most important part of the script, something that does hold true. If the script is bad, then an actor can't get into the role, and if the actor is bad, then it won't reflect the script properly. It is this that makes Back to the Future interesting as a film, as everything works well and shows itself to be very entertaining, filling all the genres it fits into and having a working plot with believable characters. While we can agree that the actors like Michael J. Fox made it come together as a final piece, the script is what set it in motion through all the difficulty it went through to get made. This tells us that:

The script is important for any movie.
If a script is good, it is worth any trouble to try and get it made.
Michael J. Fox hasn't done much outside of being Marty McFly.

That's all I have to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment