Monday 12 October 2015

Class Task: Writing - Character Sheets

Guys. Like, seriously, guys. Listen. This here blog post, you see, is going to actually, for the first time, be about... something not related to music videos.


I know Batman, it's an interesting development. But for real, I'm not going to be talking about music videos, and as I type, history is being made. Today, we are talking about...
Characters. As in, original characters, thought up by my brain, and we're going to be discussing what's going on in their brain.

So let's begin with this good guy I came up with. Now, the idea was to make someone unusual we know little about. I figured he'd be male, and presumably in his early 30's. Let's say he's 32. He has no name that we know of, and we know nothing of his family, employment or class. We know he looks like a mess, because we know he has been strapped into a chair for a year being interrogated. With this in mind, he probably has long, unwashed hair, dirty clothes (I picture him wearing black clothing, probably jeans and a long shirt). So Mr. 32 year old male knows something, but we don't know what, and he is determined not to tell anyone. This is his overlying feature. He is not willing to give up his secret to the bad guy (he's more interesting, we'll dicuss him later). He wants to hide whatever it is he knows, and this is seen as a good thing by the reader, because he's being noble and brave against what he's been through. However, we also see that he's broken, and he's struggling to hide his secret, because he wants freedom, making him relatable. This isn't seen at first as it's in his mind, which makes it interesting to hear about it after your initial judging of him being as unbreakable. Other than this, little is known about him as it makes it so that any reader would want to read on.

Now the bad guy is more interseting, in my opinion. We're talking about mohawk with hair on the side, beard, slightly tanned skin and a scandinavian accent. And we'll give him a scar on his left eye, why not, we want him to look cool, right? He is wearing a long black coat and red trousers, with one black shoe on his right foot and a bright green shoe on his left. He has fingerless gloves and is missing the middle finger on his right hand. He has two guns holstered around his waist, a revolver and a submachine gun of some description, a shotgun strapped to the back of his trousers on a belt that can't be seen very well (it's probably brown with a massive silver buckle to get across that he looks cool). He has a knife strapped to his left shoulder, and a knife tucked into each shoe, as well as having a metal plate on his right shoulder with a symbol resembling this on it:


(If you know where that symbol is from, you win an awesome point). Mentally, he is unstable. He is able to turn from speaking normally to shouting to crying in a matter of seconds. He is willing to kill anything and anybody he doesn't like, and he is torturing the protagonist for the sake of it, as he already knows the information and just wants to have fun. He is, simply put, crazy, and he's set up as someone who can't be trusted, giving the impression that he's evil.

Now, this whole story I wrote regarding these two consisted of the antagonist torturing the protagonist, but being told he has to end the interrogation, ensuing a biased Russian roulette game to ensure. Unfortunately, due to the fact we were supposed to hand these stories to other people to write the ending, this didn't end up happening, and instead the story turned kind of action. Boring. I dunno, maybe I'll write my version up here some day, but I have an assignment to do that requires me to be kinda serious, so I want to focus on that as I will get marked on that and it will count to a future career in which I may be able to make characters like this exist. And yes, that means 2 posts in one week, and that's pretty hype.

But before I go, I'll talk about my weekend, because I won't be allowed to be stupid in the next post, so I'm going to get some of it out here. My friends were having a celebration of the fact they were getting older and hosted a bonfire at their residence, so we ended up burning loads of wood and we probably shortened the life span of the Earth by a couple hundred years... You're welcome.

I was going to write "Kappa" there, but I dunno. I feel if I was talking to someone and they said "Kappa" to my face I'd have to shoot myself and then them. Do not want. Well, enjoy your... pudding. You're probably eating pudding.

fin



No comments:

Post a Comment