Tuesday 13 June 2017

Unit 15: Developing a Small Business in the Creative Media Industries - Moving on from Ufilms

When the time doing something draws to a close, you have to consider what is and isn't going to happen as a result of moving on. As I grow to the closing days of College and get ready to move onto University, I have to start considering what is and isn't going to happen as a result of moving on in my life. One thing that bears thinking about is the Ufilms Business we started in college. It began as a collective, everyone owned and ran Ufilms, even if others were less directly involved, and we all had at least one piece of Ufilms work to be proud of when we leave. The issue is that people in the class are all going to different universities across the country - including Salford, Teesside and, for myself, York, on my own. When it comes to considering carrying the Ufilms name forwards to University, some of the more popular choices (such as the aforementioned two) will very likely be able to carry on the Ufilms brand, with enough members and a variety of skills to provide an ample enough amount of hands working on projects at all times.


I, myself, am going to York all on my own, without any other Ufilms members following me there, making me have to consider whether or not I feel I have a large enough variety of skills to provide a Ufilms service within the city of York or, in general, the Yorkshire area. I have a very particular set of skills, with my highest praised abilities from teachers and peers being my writing and editing skills. When it comes to the business, I don't see myself as being able to provide much paperwork or filming and as my camera skills are lacking, and without a dedicated Ufilms Yorkshire team, I feel as though I will be certainly unable to provide any Ufilms utility in regards to creating my own products within Yorkshire.


An appropriate business for me would be something in which I can create ideas for films without necessarily having to oversee the production, then I use the footage provided to me to mould it into what I had in my head, without ever having to direct, film or touch a camera, as those are skills that I lack in in comparison to other people inside and outside of Ufilms.


So my idea for moving on from Ufilms to manage a business in University is to work with a more creative method. I am going to go freelance, working for myself and simply working under other people who need a writer or an editor. In this regard, I actually intend to stick closely to Ufilms, and regularly offer them my editing skills (when I'm not busy with too much work) and also offering them my writing should they need it. The important thing here is working around my own schedule, and simply applying to help them out for when their schedules don't work with it, benefitting both myself and the remaining branches of Ufilms, giving everybody an advantage from me working freelance with them. This would also give me the opportunity to do some work on the side outside of Ufilms, be it editing or writing.


The other option would be to disassociate myself with Ufilms, and set up a similar business within York. This would be more difficult as it would require setting myself up in an unfamiliar area, with unfamiliar area with no - as of present - gauge on how difficult it might be to set up such a business in the area. It would be far more difficult to work in this manner, as it would be reliant on other people, as opposed to reliant on being offered work from a group of people I am already familiar with, as well as requiring me to take on a managerial position instead of being a simple worker for others. As a source of work, it seems far less logical than working freelance for the time being, and I'm much happier to consider freelance as a viable option than I am starting my own branch of Ufilms or independent company within York, at least until I have spent some time in York already.


My target would be to edit at least one third of all Ufilms Teesside or Salford produced videos within each year of university, to show myself as a valuable person and provide a large number of credits in films that I have written/edited for both showreel purposes, and to show myself as a dedicated worker in my time in and out of University over the course of my time there, giving me a boost in finding a job in the industry or freelance after leaving University, as well, without tying myself down to a specific business that I had already set up and managed in University.


My goals would be to work efficiently, getting everything edited within at most two weeks of being asked to. Being efficient, hard working, driven and effective at getting all work put before me completed to a professional, high-quality standard and doing it all without involving myself fully with their brand, recognising the integrity of myself as an individual above all else, without any external staffing beyond myself.


In terms of reaching customers, I will remain in contact with Ufilms, offering myself to any and all work they need assistance with. I will also try and acquire contacts in Yorkshire through my university or fellow students in any out of my course who may need videos written or edited, without getting myself heavily involved with filming (unless university thoroughly improves my skills in these areas, in which case I can start volunteering my services for jobs of that sort.)


Most importantly for me is that I will work for a profit, spending little money in reality and simply earning money for helping people on their own tasks.



No comments:

Post a Comment