Wednesday 14 June 2017

Unit 15: Developing a Small Business in the Creative Media Industries - Business Plan

Definition of Business

My business is here as a providence of editing and writing techniques for aspiring filmmakers to use for a small fee to help push their film along and help finish their product to a standard they can be proud of. I provide personal editing to your finished film, cutting it to any guidelines you provide and finishing it to a standard we can all proud of, as well as offering my own personal writing if you are stuck for an idea. I will be found online, mainly offering my services via Facebook to connect with students s a primary audience, and will offer open communication with myself to the client via the use of their messaging services, as well as through email if desired. I will provide this at a reasonable rate of £4 for every hour of editing work (at below minimum wage) to make it affordable for short products, and to not encourage people to have me edit the entirety of an important, long project for them; Writing would be at a similarly appropriate fee of £30 in total for me to finish it alone, or £15 if the client wishes to write with me, which should again encourage a primary market of students who are wishing with help in writing or editing, without me doing the whole job for them, opening a learning opportunity alongside the services. With this, I hope to work closely with Ufilms to provide my assistance in editing and writing products for them at reasonable rates without overextending into their business and encouraging a back-and-forth relationship, as well as open myself up to fellow students in the local area of York. My main objective would be to edit at least one third of the videos created by Ufilms, but a more long-term goal is to, in general, extend my services to local people and help create an open dialogue within the York St John Film & TV course. Primarily I’d keep an open dialogue with Ufilms to see what projects they do, and I would try and get involved with editing, especially on small projects that are far more reasonable and affordable, to provide my services, logging the number of Ufilms projects and the number I have worked on, to try and work out if I meet my 1/3rd quota for the year as a sort of benchmark for me to examine my progression as a freelancer with Ufilms.

Customers

As stated previously, I feel that Ufilms, my previous affiliation in college, will be my main customer as a freelancer in university, with keeping tabs on the members of the team, what they are doing and keeping an open dialogue about work they are doing to try and get involved. They are all of a similar age (with Danniella and Chloe being the only ones who are older) and they will all also be university students. If I extend my services locally, it would also be amongst students of a similar age, who don’t have a lot of money or, potentially, free time, but feel they lack the skills provided. As it is, Ufilms doesn’t have to purchase editors as myself and a few others with editing abilities are working under the name in college, but when we split off for university, only one of the skilled editors will be sticking with a large number of team members, opening up a potential demand for editors, and an open dialogue should help me maintain an ability to freelance with them for a very small fee with somebody they not only know and have worked with, but is in a similar position to them in university and is there to encourage them with their work, also. I aim to inform them about my freelancing opportunities via Facebook messages to them, as well as maintaining contact and offering my services whenever they require it.

Naming your business

As for a name, due to not being a business in the technical sense and working freelance for myself, the most appropriate titling would be to simply name it “Rhys Collins Editing and Writing Services”, so that people know who it is they are dealing with, getting a chance to know me, and those who are familiar with me will be able to not only find it easily, but will be able to know who it is and what it is that I do. The name is long, but as it is not part of a business collective I feel it is more important to be informative about my services and skills that I can provide over a meaningless title attached to promote a branding when working primarily for other people

Staffing

Freelancing means working by myself, but it’s possible to acquire assistance from people within my university to help me edit something. In this instance I would look for the best possible editors or writers within my course, as I would know they are at a similar level of education as me, and are therefore trained similarly. I would take them on based on a project basis, if I think something is too long, and I would make sure to not over manage and to let them work how they desire if they offer their help. I would give them the money based on the hours they work, and split it fairly, and while it doesn’t match minimum wage, it is still a large enough amount of money for a student to work around, especially if the project is particularly long and nets a decent profit. They will get the experience, the credit and some pay and help me towards my long-term goal of spreading my name to the local area.

No comments:

Post a Comment