Monday 12 June 2017

Unit 4: Creative Media Production Management Project - Production Diary (March 5th - May 4th)

March 5th 2017
This was the first ever day of doing work towards contributing an official overall narrative to my Production Management Project (PMP). Prior to this, I had come up with several ideas, but had not written the general idea of them down anywhere. To start, I messaged my college tutor on Facebook and asked her for her opinion on the 3 main ideas I had come up with.




While this was brought up in a somewhat casual manner, it was the first time the ideas had been properly written down in a general summarisation of them.




March 6th 2017
The day after first writing my ideas anywhere was the first official day of this assignment. The class got together and told each other their ideas for their own PMPs. I told everybody verbally of my three ideas, and the general reception was that the third idea, Pinkerton was the best idea. I was rather fond of the Pinkerton idea myself, so I began to come up with ideas for a plot in my head. I began to write the blog post about the development of ideas on this day, and continued to work on it over time. I hadn't started the script, but I hoped to begin on it soon.




March 13th 2017
This was when, after having developed my idea (most mentally) for a week, I decided to start writing up the idea in a script. It went well, though not much was written, only getting 4 pages (about 1/3rd of the script) written. Despite this, I showed it to a fellow class member, and they seemed to rather enjoy the script, helping to motivate me on writing the script.



March 20th 2017
On this day, I continued to write more script, only adding about 2 more pages due to a lack of class time to do this in, as other people were pitching their scripts to the make-up students on this day. I also had prepared my presentation for this ready for the next day.




March 21st 2017
This day was my turn to pitch my script and idea to the make-up students. I made a few last minute changes to my pitch, then went up and pitched it later in the day. In my opinion, this pitch was a disaster, I didn't explain anything well enough at all, and I think I could have done it a lot better. Overall, I was unhappy with the result of my pitch, as I think I was trying to pitch it to my class more than the make-up class, which was a bad idea. In my pitch, I mention that I intended to use my friends house for the location, and I messaged her to make sure this was an acceptable arrangement afterwards.




March 28th 2017
Due to my (in my opinion) disastrous pitch, despite everybody else having chats with make-up students to discuss their ideas and plans for their PMPs, none of them had volunteered to work on my script. After people from my film class had decided on the make-up students they wanted, the rest were distributed amongst the people who didn't have any make-up artists working for them, myself included. After clearly explaining the idea to her, she seemed to understand the kind of themes in the film. I decided on this day to also finish the script, and send it to my friend whose house I intended to use, to make sure she was okay with it being in her house.


March 29th 2017
I did a few touch-ups to make the script look a little bit more professional, and then also sent it to the make-up artist so that she could read it and make sure it was okay in her opinion. She responded to my message to let me know what she thought.





March 30th 2017
A few more spelling and grammar changes to the script, and a few changes to the production diary to make sure it made sense and had information on every day of work.




April 7th 2017
Another day that was mostly without intensive work, I went to the cinema with my friend, where, beforehand, we discussed her thoughts on Pinkerton, and I talked her through the use of her house as location. Everything was sorted out and we arranged a date for me to come over during our time out of college so that I could take pictures of the house for the film.




April 19th 2017
After taking the time off to enjoy time off, April 19th was the planned date for me to go to my friends house and take pictures. Unfortunately, she had been ill for about a week beforehand, and was behind on her own college revision. As to not be a burden, I requested that she at least take the pictures for me when she had some free time. She was thrilled to take time out of revision and sent me the pictures as follows:






April 24th 2017
The whole class got together to make sure that we had a basic filming schedule of who would be working on what films. I was able to convince two classmates to help me, with Adam McLean as my Director of Photography (DOP) and Chloe Handley as my Director. A Boom Operator is still required, however the first year students, as well as one acting student, are volunteers to operate the Boom Pole in any PMPs they can, so I will be considering them greatly. On top of this, I will be a Boom Operator for several films in the class, and the following roles and films are what I will be working on for this assignment:








April 25th 2017
Today I sought to create a complete, final cast list for the film. I made a Facebook post visible to people within my class and the acting class to put out little feelers to let everyone know the kind of people I was looking for in the film. I also checked in with the make-up artist to check that everything was okay on her end, which I was assured it was. Nobody replied to this, but there was one member of the acting class who had liked the post, giving me a place to start from in searching for actors.




April 26th 2017
This day I had dedicated to working on the paperwork for the film. I had started on storyboards and shot list, as well as creating the location agreements and character breakdowns. I also arranged with my friend to meet up on Monday 1st May to discuss plans for filming in the house. I did not contact the actors at this point just to wait and see if anymore interest would be shown beforehand.




April 27th 2017
Today I contacted the one actor who had liked the post, to ask if he was willing to play a part in it. I also did more work with my DOP on the storyboards, as well as writing out risk assessments and creating the scene cards to measure the length of scenes and number of shots.


May 3rd 2017
I finally found a cast in two college actors named Ben Smith and Connor Honeyman. I created a Facebook group for them and my crew, and I started working on more paperwork.


May 4th 2017
Due to most of the work on the paperwork having been done, I filled in the actors names on the paperwork, got my Risk Assessment signed and was ready informing the cast and crew of all of my plans in a Facebook group chat:








No comments:

Post a Comment